Wednesday, May 28, 2003

129 days to go
Part II: Dave's Ark


It's raining. As most of you who know me are aware, I absolutely dislike rain. Yes, I'm aware of the ecological need for rain and all that, but when you're pumping up Damen Avenue and it's pouring sulfur smelling water at you, you tell me how much you care about ecological needs for rain. My eyes burn. My legs are wet and nasty. I had to throw away my socks because they were completely black from road spray. For those of you who are geographically challenged to the Chicago streets, one of my main thoroughfares is torn up from Addison to just north of my house, all of about 6 blocks. 4 of those blocks are encrusted in my socks. Poor guys.

That's my big rant for the time being. I don't like being wet- especially when there's concrete and the like all over my legs. It's really a small problem, but it's still here and making me unhappy.

In reality, it's kinda cool. It's like trail biking, just on a street with traffic and lots of water. I do relish in the childlike giddiness that comes from getting really dirty- like I've said before, happiness is where you find it.

Of course, loyal reader, if you got as dirty as I did on your commute home from work, you'd probably be miserable, too. Maybe not. At least I had appropriate clothes on. Which reminds me: there are two parts of my body that are completely dry. My torso, for one, thanks to the really cheap jacket I bought from Marshall's for $25 two years ago. It's waterproof yet breathable. The other part? My ass. Yes, my ass. Thanks to a lovely piece of plastic I picked up again, two years ago from OTR Bicycles on Lincoln Avenue, a $13 investment that's kept me happy whenever I've biked in rain. Fenders are great! Buy one today!

I'm going to downgrade the turning 30 panic attack alert to blue, the lowest ever.

Sometimes it is fun to get dirty in the rain. It makes you feel like a kid again. Think about that.

dave

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home