Tuesday, July 15, 2003

81 days to go
Part III: All stars and stand-up


I'll give you four American Dollars for your jacket!

As I have mentioned before, I am not the biggest baseball fan in the world. Not anymore, and even when I was, I wasn't that big a fan. So, instead of watching the world's most boring baseball game, I watched Last Comic Standing to see if I could get a laugh out of it, which I did, because the people on there are funny as hell. Well, most of them are. Let's say that my personal favorite was ousted tonight. I switched up during commercials to see if anything remotely interesting was happening during the game. I saw something that made me mad.

What the hell is it with fans? Why do they feel the need to go after baseballs? I can understand if you want a souvenir, that's acceptable, but if you're so dumb as to not know that the umpire signaled that the ball was fair, you don't deserve the seats you're sitting in down the 3rd base line, folks. I hope the offenders went to baseball jail and were thrown out.

Of course, this is the All-Star game, invented right here in Chicago. No empty seats allowed. I'm sure they got yelled at, but they didn't go to baseball jail. I've been there. ONCE. Only one visit. What made me mad is that last summer I was at a game at Comiskey, and a fan interferred with a ball in play, just like the ENTIRE WORLD saw tonight, and it took security almost 90 second to get the guy, who didn't even move! He was right there, in his seat. According to everything I've read, you're supposed to be thrown out of the game WHENEVER you interfere with a ball in play.

I, on the other hand, was thrown in baseball jail for doing something honorable. I spit beer in the Cleveland Indians dougout once. It took all of 10 seconds before I was flanked by security. So, which is the worse offense? Interferring with a ball in play or expressing yourself rudely?

Anyways, I'm just mad about that. Seems like a double standard to me. Something like that.

I'll return you to your regularly scheduled web surfing now.

dave

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home