Wednesday, August 27, 2003

38 days to go
Part II: I see dead people...


Actually, I don't. It seems my sixth sense is knowing when a day is going to be completely fubar- and I'm usually right. That's how I called it at approximately 8:05 this morning.

Was I ever right. First off, I've got carpenters arguing with painters over who needs to get their work done first. Ok. It seems to me that if you're going to hang cabinets on walls, you might, just might want to have them painted first. Just an opinion. Then, out of the blue, is the window installer, who is there to work, you guessed it, in the very same kitchen where somehow simultaneously, there is to be painting done and cabinets installed on the very same walls. The funny in that story is that our storage room was broken into about 3 weeks ago, and they stole everything. Up to and including the window that the window installer was going to install. So, I lucked out there. Barely.

Ok, that's just one of the interesting ways my day was fubar'ed. Let's get another example, which took place not more than an hour ago. We have a dumpster on the street, which we, of course, have a permit to have there on the street. We have a barrier(that is a sawhorse with a blinking light on it) and two orange cones set up at one end of the dumpster to prevent people from parking too close, something which is incredibly important, when you consider that there's going to be a big truck coming in the morning to pick up said dumpster and empty it for us. Needless to say, it's not an exact science, and there has been collateral damage done to items too close to the dumpster, hence the reason we try to prevent people from parking too close. So, my boss and friend is standing out front, talking to another tradesman. This guy parks his car right about where he really shouldn't. Gets out, and starts telling my boss to stop staring at his girlfriend, who is still sitting in the car, where my boss can't see her. He threatens him. My boss, being the intelligent person he is, knows that he is not at fault on any count. He keeps a cool head and tells the guy to stop threatening him, or he'll call the cops. I walked around the corner to hear the end of the threat. So off they go, the guy realizes that he's picked the wrong battle, and his girlfriend is going on and on about how there's no parking in Wrigleyville and that we need a permit for the dumpster. Then, they called the cops. And boy, the cops were really happy to have that call. What did the whole thing boil down to? Well, everything done my boss was completely legal. The dumpster is legal. Threatening someone, well, that isn't. They didn't haul the guy away or anything, but I'm sure the cops will be a little slower next time they get a call from their house.

So, I'd say I've got the Shin. Or a type of Shin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home