Tuesday, August 12, 2003

53 days to go
Part I: Do you believe in karmic misjustice?


for Herb


I paraphrase Al Michaels here for a very, very, very depressing reason.

Mind you, I was in a great mood. I was bowling with friends, ran into a woman I had a crush on, then went out after bowling and saw another woman I have a crush on, only to learn of the untimely death of Herb Brooks. I froze. I couldn't function. I was dumbfounded.

Read about his career, his impact on hockey, more impact, and the Miracle on Ice.

As I've stated before in this blog, I don't handle loss well. I've lost a lot of my heroes. Let's make a quick list, shall we?

Heroes of Dave:
Johnny Cash
John Lennon
Mark Sandman
Joe Strummer
Herb Brooks
Kirby Puckett
My dad(who is probably getting misty over the fact that he's on this list)

Ok, it's a short list. I don't idolize many people, with good reason: you shouldn't want to be like other people.

Let's give a quick status update for this list:
JC- his wife and soul mate died. His health is failing.
JL- shot dead, as we all know by Mark David Chapman in 1980
MS- died onstage while touring in Italy in 1999, doing what he loved most.
JS- died in his sleep in December 2002.
HB- died in a fucking car accident 11 August, 2003.
KP- recently tried for sexual assult, but beat the rap- as it were.
MEA- still truckin', although, as I said, probably a little misty about being on that list.

So that's the status update. Me, I'm going to rewatch(for about the 100,000th time) my Do You Believe in Miracles: The Story of the 1980 U.S. Olympic Hockey Team DVD. And drink. If my boss is reading this right now, you'll understand about how I'm going to be late tomorrow. He knows how much I love hockey. He'll get it.

I'm off, as it's very, very late, and the DVD lasts 90 minutes.

HB, 8/5/1937-8/11/2003.
Rest in peace, my friend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home