Friday, September 12, 2003

22 days to go
Part III: More on Johnny, Warren and John


I never really got onto the Warren and John aspect of my week. It's been a rough week for me, losing these people who are very special to me. John was one of my dad's closest friends for years, and a friend of my family all through my formative years, although I hadn't been able to see him too often since I moved away.

I've blogged on and on before about how I don't handle loss well. My list of heroes has dwindled, at least as far as those who are still with us, but I had a friend remind me of someone who definitely should be on my list, and I'm going to add him to it. Right now.

The list:
Johnny Cash
John Lennon
Mark Sandman
Joe Strummer
Herb Brooks
Kirby Puckett
My dad(who is probably getting misty over the fact that he's on this list)
Wendell Young

The first 5 are no longer living. The last 3 are.

Ok, because there hasn't been one ounce of levity in a single post I've made today, I'm going to do the Friday five:

1. Is the name you have now the same name that's on your birth certificate? If not, what's changed?

I go by Dave instead of David, other than that, it's the same as it was when it was printed almost 30 years go.

2. If you could change your name (first, middle and/or last), what would it be?

I think my name is ok, the first two are a little too common, but they're relatively balanced out by my relatively rare last name. I might consider changing my last name when and if I get married, but we're not there yet.

3. Why were you named what you were? (Is there a story behind it? Who specifically was responsible for naming you?)

One theory is that I was named for my dad's first-year college roommate. It's really all I know about the subject.

4. Are there any names you really hate or love? What are they and why?

I knew a girl in grade school whose first name was Caden. I'm also rather partial to Zoe.

5. Is the analysis of your name at kabalarians.com / triggur.org / astroexpert accurate? How or how isn't it?

I'll leave that judgement to my readers, but from kabalarians.com:

The name of Dave creates a quick, analytical, and clever mind; you are creative, versatile, original, and independent. You have large ambitions, and it is difficult for you to be tolerant and understanding of those who desire less in life or who are more slow and methodical by nature. Patience is not your forte. You do, however, have leadership ability and would never be happy in a subservient position. You are ambitious and aggressive by nature. You would be happiest in positions where you are free to express individually and creatively and where opportunities are not restricted; you desire freedom, and do not tolerate being possessed by others. You appreciate change and travel, and the opportunity to meet and mix with others, and to influence them with your creative ideas. You are very self-confident and feel you can accomplish anything you set out to do, and you can, although, this name does not allow proper completion of undertakings, and forced changes cause financial losses and bitter experiences. This name also creates caustic expression and moods which prevent harmony and happiness in close association.

With that, I bid you all a good day, and would like to again thank everyone who has called or written me today. I have to get ready for tonight, so I will blog again tomorrow.

Ode to Johnny in his own words:

And we'll all be equal
Under the grass
'Cuz god's got a heaven
For a country trash

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home