Wednesday, October 22, 2003

Religon and my world.

They don't mix. It's probably for the best. But I am fascinated by people's faith. I find it refreshing and disturbing when I see what people go through for something they don't know is real. Earlier tonight, I watched part of a documentary called Inside Mecca on WTTW, then part IV of Stephen King's the Stand. I watched the previous 3 parts the night before. So, I've got the subject on my mind.

Both my roommate and I were fascinated by what people do for their religion. Faith is such a powerful thing for some people. I, of course, thought and said the following:

"Wouldn't it be fun if we started our own religion based on the writings of Johnny Cash? Just think- then we could have people make pilgrimages to Reno and shoot a man just to watch him die!"

(As a disclaimer, I don't mean to offend anyone of any faith, or anyone from Reno for that matter.)

But, of course, a religion based on Johnny Cash would be grounded very much in a christian faith, which I just couldn't have. Although the tenet don't take your guns to town works on so many levels.

Which reminds me, and since I'm still rambling, why not share this with y'all. I've had this quote of Johnny's going on and on in my head, frequently at very strange times. It's from a time before one of this daughters got married, and her soon to be fiance was coming to visit with said daughter(I think it was Roseanne, but don't remember) Johnny and June at their house in Jamaica. This young man decided that he and Johnny's daughter were going to sleep in the same room, but they didn't want to tell Johnny. The young man was going around, scoping out the various rooms when Johnny caught on to his plan and said to him "son, I don't know you well enough to miss you when you're gone." Not really a threat, but when the Man in Black talks to you like this, you know your ass is expendable.

With that, I'm going to go to bed. I need to be up bright and early tomorrow to get stuff done, because I'm obviously not going to do it unless I put substantial pressure on myself(laundry day anyone?).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home