Monday, January 26, 2004

Le Tour De Farms

I know I've already blogged once about it, but my 2004 MS Tour de Farms Website is up already, and it's taking donations.

Some kind co-workers of my best friend have already started donating. To them, I say thank you.

You guys kick ass.

So, because I feel like writing, here's the story of how I decided to do this ride:

I was at work on a Wednesday, in an apartment building on Diversey. It was really cold out, at least relative to late fall, so I was bundled up in my big work jacket with an extra sweatshirt underneath. I was walking up the back stairs when my cell phone rang. Being leery of receiving calls during the day(and half expecting it to be my boss calling) I was a little surprised that my best friend was calling from her cell, instead of her work number. I answered the phone, and I had a chill. I knew there was something wrong, and that there was something important that day that she had the day off from work: she had another appointment.

She was calm, almost stoic when she spoke. The conversation started the same way 99% of our conversations start "hey." I answered the same. She asked how late I was working. I wasn't sure, but I felt something was up, so I pressed. She told me the diagnosis. I felt really, really cold. I had literally spent months denying that it was anything too serious. They weren't sure, after all. Test after test after MRI after MRI, and this was the news. After the initial panic, I started to realize something significantly more serious- I had absolutely no fucking clue as to what MS was. This was the scary part, because I knew nothing, and I don't like to feel like I'm stupid. I knew that MS had no cure, but I didn't know how it was going to effect her, I had no idea what she was in for.

She wanted to meet for drinks. I said that was fine, but that I was going to go home first and read up on the MS website. I read about the disease, the symptoms, and finally, the MS 150 Tour de Farms Bike Ride. I printed some material out, so we could read it at the bar.

We met. We hugged. She was already showing incredible strength. We sat down. I told her I was going to do the ride this year and every year until I can't ride anymore. Hopefully, that'll be a long time. Then, we drank and drank and drank.

She started her injections a week later. These things are horrible, self-administered, and they screw her body up for about 12 hours after she takes them. She's not showing too many symptoms yet, but they're coming. She, however, is strong and isn't taking shit from this disease. If they find a cure, and I hope they do, she'll be one of those people who beat it, I know she will.

That's the story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home