Wednesday, January 14, 2004

The Real Scariest Part of My Commute

It isn't the scary/helpful guy. It's the bridge.

For those who don't know, Chicago's Loop is bordered to the North and West by the Chicago River, which is primarily used by pleasure boaters, but sometimes for actual shipping type traffic as well. So, each and every major street over the Chicago River is required to have a drawbridge over it. Part of my commute(the walking from the train to my office part) is over the South Branch of the Chicago River at Jackson Street.

What's the point of this entry? Well, I am afraid of heights. I don't think I used to be, but the older I get, the more I seem to be. It's odd. I'm also not a very good swimmer, so you can imagine my moderately well self-contained panic when I'm walking over the drawbridge coupling and a couple huge trucks go over at the same time, causing the bridge to lurch quite noticeably.

My heart raced a bit, my eyes undoubtedly went rather wide, and I got over it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home