Thursday, February 26, 2004

3.....2.....1.....Rant!

The Redhead put up a link this morning to the Boston Globe's article about John Kerry being against gay marriage.

This is a hot topic, and I haven't really thrown my two cents in yet, because, well I keep my politics to myself. Not any more. Not after this statement from the very same article:

"Kerry has said he opposed amending the US Constitution, because he believes the issue of marriage should be left to the states."

I have only one thing to say: Keep your laws off my fucking body.

Marriage isn't between two people and the state, no matter what state it is. It's not between the federal government and two people. It's between two people. It doesn't matter whether one or both are gay, straight, bi, or whatever. I do not believe gay marriage "cheapens" straight marriage, and I think it's asinine to think that. It's just like saying that because two gay men exchange a $20 bill, that the $20 dollar bill that I hand to a straight woman isn't worth $20 any more. Of course, it doesn't have to be a $20 bill. I heard an analogy the other day about how someone's college degree isn't worth the same because someone else from their class was gay(and apologies to whoever did say that, I can't remember where it was, otherwise I would cite it properly), or that even a straight person's birth certificate isn't worth the same because someone who is now gay was born in the same hospital.

What I'm getting at is that marriage isn't just a piece of paper. It's an institution, yes, but that doesn't mean it's solely meant to be between a man and a woman. It's a commitment two people make to each other, and the fact that the state or federal government feels like they should restrict your rights to tell who you want to tell that you love them, and how you want to love them. It's bullshit. It's the fusion of church and state. It's not that this country is about, at least it's not what this country was meant to be about.

I'm not trying to be a revolutionary here, folks. I'm just trying to vent from frustration. It seems to me that not only is the christian right going to try to limit my personal freedom, but the left is now thinking about doing the same thing. The question the becomes: is Kerry doing this because he needs to take votes away from GWB? Votes that, according to most of the polls out there, he doesn't need to take?

Let me sum this up, as I'm starting to ramble:

George W. Bush: fucked in the head.
John F. Kerry: fucked in the head.
Church and State: Joined at the fucking hip.

I leave the floor open for discussion.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home