Tuesday, February 10, 2004

Official Review

This is my second attempt to blog a review of the new movie Miracle, yesterday's was mystically lost in cyberspace. Then, I didn't have time or energy to come back and try again.

So, my thoughts:

It's a good movie. There's a lot of good hockey action, shot from the ice, so you really feel like you're in it. I would definitely recommend seeing it in the theatre, so you get the full effect. Lots of critics are saying that there isn't enough character development, but what I don't think they understand is that the movie's main character, the team, is what requires development, not the individuals on the team. I will say that the half-assed attempts of developing the individual players characters was rather lame, they were enough to introduce the motivations of the players. One of the most important motivations was that of Jim Craig, the goalie. His mom had died, they touched on it briefly, and her dream was to have him play on the Olympic team. What more needs to be said about it?

I guess what I'm saying is that I feel the critics missed that point. It is a good movie, and there was character development beyond the team, our other main character, Herb Brooks, was developed well enough to feel like you learned something about him. What I didn't like, obviously, was how they let him say ass, hell and damn, but edited out the really good stuff. In the movie, the character says that a player "looks like two monkeys trying to hump a football." That's not what he actually said, and I'm sure you can figure out what word is changed to what other word. Beyond that, they left out one of the more inspiring things Herb said, after a cheap shot on one of his players(and this did get on national TV, in case you were wondering): "you're going to eat that goddamn Koho, number 3!" Herb spoke his mind, and I think that missing from the film took away from that fact.

That's my official review. I could add more to it(everyone knows I love to babble about hockey), but I'd be here all day, and y'all would be bored to tears.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home