Thursday, March 11, 2004

Big city
Big city bikes!


The Accordion Guy has blogged about something I care deeply about, cycling. Toronto has what sounds like, on paper, a good plan to make it's streets safer for both cyclists and motorists. I'm all for it. I have a certain respect for Chicago motorists, as well as a measured amount of disdain, as evidenced here, here, here, and undoubtedly numerous other places in my blog. I get mad at drivers, and I like to let them know, both here and on the street. The problem that I have is that most motorists completely ignore the laws that are meant to protect cyclists, and most cops never enforce any of these laws, even those brave enough to be on the bicycle patrol. I also will obey the rules meant to protect me and those around me(i.e., in almost every city ward it is illegal for an adult to ride on a sidewalk).

The problem is, I still feel completely vulnerable whenever I ride on the streets. I still get cut off. I still get mad. Two weekends ago I was in a bike lane when a motorist made a left turn in front of myself and my companion, went over a curb(not a ramp) into a parking lot nearly taking off their muffler, so they could get a parking spot on the perpendicular street. I bellowed at the driver "are you insane?" (I would mention at this point that I was so drastically amazed at the idiocy of this person's move that I could not swear.)

Why is it so hard to share the road? This is Chicago, the city of the big shoulders and all that crap. We've got wide streets here, we've got plenty of room for cars, SUV's, motorcycles, and yes, bikes. I share, will you share with me?

Enough on that. I could probably go for hours, after all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home