Monday, March 08, 2004

Game shows and the 100 year war.

I told my roommate this weekend that I have to stop watching game shows. I spend too much time being annoyed with either stupidity, bad planning, or the general format. I yell, scream, pace the floor, and criticize beyond all reason. I am an asshole.

Now, there's this other article that I read this morning. I worry about the state of the world, just like anybody else. Especially now that America is the only superpower. I worry because we do have way too much power, and as well all know, absolute power corrupts absolutely. So, is this Chavez guy trying to boost GW's polls by trying to sucker us into another war? That's my conspiracy theory for the day.

I'll fully admit to my own megalomaniacal feelings, but I've wasted more than 10 years of my life playing games like Civilization and skipping classes and the like so I could just finally end that war with the [insert rival civ's name here], or stay up just another hour so I could get that spacecraft built. It's helped to curb me from a would-be dictator to a Saturday afternoon gamer. Is it possible that Saddam or GWB or Lenin could have just been a regular guy if he had spent his sophomore year of college glued to his computer screen, fending off barbarians and colonizing continents in cyberspace? We'll never know. It's been many a time that I've been poised to invade a weaker country because I needed something that they weren't willing to give me. I've had my ICBM's and stealth bombers and tanks and marines and everything parked on their borders, ready to go at a moment's notice, sure, but I try to be diplomatic. Then, of course, I realize that it's just a game, and there's really no reason to be so romantic about it. And I usually then realize what an enormous geek I am. Then I blow shit up. It's easy to do when it isn't real people. Maybe that's what these guys need- a couple weekends facing the moral dilemas in a simulated world instead of fucking up everything for real.

Anyways. That didn't make much sense. I'll stop rambling.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home