Tuesday, March 16, 2004

I voted.

It's not because I'm extraordinarily enthusiastic about politics. It's because I believe that you haven't earned the right to bitch unless you participate. To paraphrase the Beastie Boys(and numerous lotto commercials) "you've got to be in it to whine."

On my way to my polling place, I notice two pamphleteers, as I call them, waiting for anyone walking to the polling place. I immediately was annoyed, as they were standing by the alley just north of my polling place(which also happens to be one of my neighborhood watering holes, Sylvie's). Of course they eyed me as someone to give stuff to. I didn't want any of their stuff, though. I just wanted to be left alone, to exercise my right to vote in peace. I had also forgotten my tie, so I had to go back, but that's really moot, actually. So, as I walk up, the guy asks me if I'm headed to vote, I answered yes, and he tried to hand me a flier, as though I hadn't already made up my mind about who I was voting for. I refused his paper. He said that he hoped I would remember to vote for [insert state senate candidate's name]. I turned around and told him and his partner that their car was illegally parked.

I can be such a bitch when I need to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home