Tuesday, April 27, 2004

A funny thought just crossed my mind.

I was thinking about my weekend, and about how I tend to joke endlessly, and the not necessarily positive side effect of that is that initially, when people get to know me, they don't take me terribly seriously. This conjured up an old, old memory of my senior year of high school, when I asked a girl who would later be my high school sweetheart to a dance. When I asked her if she wanted to go to another school's dance, she said "I wanted to go to our dance, why didn't you ask me?" My reply was that I had, but there was no reply, to which she said "I thought you were joking." It makes me laugh to think about that now. It also makes me think about how people perceive me now.

My friend A and I have developed a very good friendship, but if you had been there at the beginning, when she was dating my friend S, you would have thought we'd never have more than 2 words to exchange. It's not that we didn't get along, it was just that she has since changed her perception of me- from a Casanova-esque crazy guy who parties too much to a devoted friend and stand-up guy who just happens to still party too much. I guess reality is somewhere in between- the way it should be. I'd rather not be in the black or white, but somewhere in the grey area, although these two examples are not exactly polar opposites, but you get my drift.

It's all about perception. Now, I could use a nap.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home