Tuesday, April 20, 2004

The weekend, part three, or:
What's wrong with airport workers:


Monday was frustrating for me, mostly because of, well, airports. Upon my arrival at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport, I headed to what I believed was the check-in line, only to be sent to a different line without any explanation. Once I got to the security officers, I asked him if the line was security or check-in. He informed me that I was in the security line, and that I still needed to check-in. I went back to the first person, and told her I still needed to check-in, who said, 'oh, you have to go down there.' I went down there, and stood in a virtually unmoving line for 20 minutes before I overheard someone asking 'if we've got e-tickets, do we have to be in this line?' Which we didn't, so I asked, and sure enough, it was time to head to the e-ticket check-in. This is when I started to write an entry in my head about how airport workers think that airports are so intuitive. They're not, especially there. Most of the lines aren't well labeled, and worse, there was a lot of work being done at that particular airline's desks, so none of the signs really pointed the way for me. Maybe it's just that I don't fly often enough, although I think I fly a fair amount, and I'm pretty smart, so is it the airports that are confusing, or am I confused in the airport?

Anyways, I got all checked in, headed to security, where I employed my new favorite way of getting through the metal detectors: damn near stripping down to my boxers and smiling. Worked both times on my trip, and I had my steel toes with me. At the gate, I discovered that my flight was subject to a "traffic control ordered delay" of 30 minutes, due to the high winds here in Chicago. That's ok, I can handle that, or so I thought. I got frustrated, because I didn't want to sit there. I just wanted to get home and get my life back together again. I got grumpy, and I really wasn't able to shake it off for the rest of the day. I fell asleep on the plane, too, something I do far too often(almost every flight).

So, that's my report on the weekend. There's probably more, but I've run-on long enough, no?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home