Wednesday, May 26, 2004

You be Illin'

Myself, I must have eaten something funky last night, because I am not in good health this morning. I have taken my first sick day from my new job. That's not what's really important to me today.

As far as the other illin' news, well, let's just say a tragedy has occured.

Yesterday, my best friend lost her job. Her company accused her of being "under the influence of alcohol" at work. Why? Because she was slurring her speech. There was no test or any medical tests made. She was just summarily dismissed. At this point, I would like to quote from the National MS Society's information pamphlet "What is Multiple Sclerosis?", from the section entitled "What are its symptoms?"
The symptoms of MS may include tingling, numbness, painful sensations, slurred speech, and blurred or double vision.

As many of you know, my best friend was diagnosed with MS in November of last year, and I am participating in the MS 150 Tour de Farms in June of this year. Her employer was very well aware that she was stricken with this disease.

When she told me, I went into full crisis mode. I comforted her, then I called my brother, who is a lawyer. His wife will soon be taking the bar exam as well. I related the story, and he felt exactly as I did. That there was something seriously wrong with the situation. I called her back. I told her I was going to talk to another friend, who knows a fair amount of labor lawyers. We all met for dinner and discussed the situation. In an hour, I will be calling my contact in the Illinois chapter of the MS Society to see if they have a team of lawyers sympathetic to our cause, and try to get the ball rolling on a lawsuit.

I am disgusted by this blatent discrimination, and I will not rest until her former employer pays dearly for their misdeeds.

1 Comments:

Blogger All Things Jennifer said...

I am not quite a lawyer yet...but HELLO LAWSUIT! People can be so ignorant...

3:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home