Wednesday, June 30, 2004

It's official.

I've just sent out two e-mails with the same title. I'm getting sick of typing that.

However, it is offical. I am heading up to St. Paul for the weekend. While there I will get to see a certain redheaded friend of mine and her beau, a certain accordion-sporting Canadian. I'm excited. I get to meet Joey for the first time. I also get to see my father and brother, a couple of hoodlums who are presently planning a trip to Chicago later this month.

Also official is my completion of the Time Traveler's Wife, a book recommended by J and commented on by All Thing Jen(nifer) in her blog. First off, I think the copy I read was defective. The last section was in there twice, so I read the last 20 pages or so before the bulk of the book. I intially thought that this was intentional- but now I don't think so. Someone should look into this. Anyways, one of Jen(nifer)'s readers was curious to know the male perspective on this, and although not being what I would consider to be the typical male, I'll try to do my best.

I liked the way the book was written, basically in a blog style, telling each side of a lifelong relationship. Although it was more romance than science fiction, it was still entertaining, but never really grabbed me. It was also fun to read the descriptions of Chicago, the city I fondly call home. I found the ending and the plot to be a little too predictable, but I'm having bad luck with plots lately. All in all, it was a nice read, but not something I would classify as something I would recommend. If it were a movie, I would call it a "date movie," so we'll call it a whole new beast, the "date book."

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, the book wasn't defective. The back was repeating the front was intentional...gimmicky yes, somewhat clever...I'll raise half an eyebrow in semi-salute.

In artistic BS blather it would be defined as "An device both visual and literal providing a continguous link and eternal loop to the book, time traveling making things infinite...there is no beginning, there is no end...blah blah blah"

Hope this helps, or at least alliviates your confusion in a wave of disgust!
J

11:48 AM  
Blogger All Things Jennifer said...

A date movie. Good call. No Bill and Ted like sci-fi fun, not bad though...

8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home