Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Proof positive that even I learn something new every day.

Yesterday, I went for another of my infamous bike rides. My latest route is to go up Damen Avenue from my house to Bryn Mawr, head over to Sheridan, go north to the lakefront bike path's start, then head all the way down to it's termination, at the South Shore Cultural Center. My boss lives around the corner, and when I told him about my rides there, he encouraged me to ride around inside the gates and check out the grounds. As I was riding up(you might notice this in the picture on the page I linked to), I realized that I had seen this building before, and it didn't take me long until I realized where I knew it from.
The interior for the Blues Brothers' concert was the Hollywood Palladium. Audience members were recruited through radio station promotion. The exterior was Chicago's South Shore Country Club, which was later purchased by the city and reopened as the South Shore Cultural Center.

As many of you who know me personally, it is a long-standing tradition that I watch the Blues Brothers every year on my birthday. I've been doing it since I was about 14 or so, and haven't missed a year yet. I just never realized that was the building they used. Then again, Chicago is a very big city, and I'm very, very infrequently on the south side, at least, rarely that far south.

Isn't it good to know that old dogs can learn new tricks?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home