Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Juxtaposition.

I think that's what we really need. Last night, the Chicago Outdoor Film Festival showed Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, a movie I probably haven't seen since junior high school. What's on the other side of this? Fahrenheit 9/11. I used to tell people that they should see F9/11 because it has important things that people should hear about in it. I know you'll get hit over the head with Moore's politics and philosophy, but there's still messages in there that people need to hear.

What I'm going to recommend in the future is that people first rent Mr. Smith Goes to Washington before going to see F9/11. Why? Because Mr. Smith came out in 1939- 1939! And it's all about corruption in the government- how the "good ol' boys" put their personal interests before their public's interests. Given, you're not beat over the head with politics a la Michael Moore, but it is bi-partisan in the way that never is there a mention of what party is what, and who is a member of which party. Moore makes a feeble attempt at this, but spends so much time with his anti-Bush footage that it seems like almost an afterthought. Mr. Smith is fiction, I realize, but take a look at what was happening in 1938 and 1939. It was a vastly more innocent world, and the movie was "denounced by Washington insiders" because it showed the system as a broken-down, corrupt puppet.

I'm not sure if I've made sence here(I started writing this more than an hour ago, and have been repeatedly interrupted), but what I'm trying to say is if you're going to see F9/11, check out this movie first. I think it will help you appreciate the message Moore has muddled down by sledgehammering his point across: the government is corrupt because absolute power corrupts absolutely.

1 Comments:

Blogger All Things Jennifer said...

A great movie, no relation. ; )

10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home