Thursday, July 15, 2004

Stream of consciousness.

I am often perplexed by how my mind goes from point a to point b(ad nauseam). Today I pulled a weird one.

After my previous post, I started mulling around the Vietnam War Memorial Page, reading up on the men and women who are listed on the wall. It occured to me that I should be able to find something similar about my grandfather. He's not terrible popular in my family- he was a horrible drunk who was divorced from my grandmother when my father was 5. There's next to no talk about him, and when I asked my grandmother a couple years ago what year he was born, she didn't remember. I know next to nothing about him- my father doesn't even talk about him, except when pushed, and he generally ends the conversation fairly quickly. Essentially, I only have a name. Today, I decided to see what I could find out about him. I know where he is buried- my brother went there before he moved back from Seattle- so I looked that up online. Turns out my grandfather was in the Navy(I'm guessing during World War II). His rank is listed as being SC2- something I've been trying to figure out what exactly that means. Near as I can guess, it's either Senior Chief Petty Officer or Petty Officer Second Class. I'm guessing he was non-commissioned. Does anyone out there know anything about Navy ranks? I'm getting a headache reading up on this stuff, and you can't request records, even of deceased personnel, except in writing, and really just want to figure this little bit out.

Anyone got an idea? You know where the comments link is... Right here.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Found this:

SC2 -- USNR officer designation for Special Service, Special Communications Duties. Formerly S(C2) and C-VX

here:

http://www.history.navy.mil/books/OPNAV20-P1000/S.htm

Pat

3:38 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Nice job, Pat!

I couldn't find that anywhere, not even on the US Navy's site... Perhaps it's an older code...

Good work. I owe you a beer.

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home