Monday, August 23, 2004

The sharp, horrible sting of reality.

Whenever I head out to the farm, I come back to the city, the city I love and cherish, only to wonder why I live here. Life is so complex and full of bullshit here.

I doubt I could move out there now. I'm too young, too crazy, too wild and too needy of things to do to live in a rural setting- besides, what role would I take in the local economy? There's not a lot of demand for wise-assed computer geeks with shaved heads and a penchant for general mayhem.

Where is this coming from? Well, I'm discovering today that I have almost no patience for my job anymore. This is not a good sign, as I should hang on to this one until I finally finish up a degree of some sort, so I can then find my true calling and hopefully make some cash. An example of why I become so grumpy at work:

Customer: I'm getting a message that says 'no action taken.'
Me: That could mean a lot of things. What kind of order was it?
Customer: A buy order.
Me: I need more information than that. Was is a limit, market, what contract?
Customer: It's a small NASDAQ market order. I think it might be a problem with margins.
Me: That's a definite possibility.
Customer: Because I only have $30 in the account.
Me: Well, that's going to be your problem right now, isn't it?

I got meaner as time went on. He wanted to find a way around his lack of balance, and I told him the best way around that was to send in more money. I'd say I need a vacation, but I just went out of town, and had a lovely time, so what good would going again do?

I'm also taking suggestions as to a possible career change to a rural environment. Anyone?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Organizer of large, multi-stage music festivals?

Pat

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home