Tuesday, October 05, 2004

A nice compliment.

This morning, I took a little long getting ready, as in, I really didn't like waking up at 4:30, so I was miserable trying to get out the door. So, I fell back into a bad practice, and I took a cab to work. On the way, maybe 3 miles from my house, the cabbie starts to talk to me:

Him: You know, I've been driving a cab for 27 years, and I have to tell you that what I'd really like to see is a book written about how to hail a cab.
Me: Ok...
Him: I mean, it seems like pteople just don't get how to do it property, they're just not paying attention, or they're expecting us to stop in the middle of the street and hold up traffic.
Me: I know what you mean.
Him: I mean, you know how to pick up a cab. You should write a book about it.

I'd like to announce the beginning of my career as a writer. My first book, The Cabhailer's Guide to Chicago will be on shelves as soon as I can write it and find someone crazy enough to publish it.

Just FYI.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

I could write that book, too, but I'd write it for Chicago motorists in general- and I haven't been on a bike since before the surgery, and not been riding seriously since July.

If you'd be interested in helping, I was thinking about starting a website for cyclists to post their horror stories for near-misses with the asshats that drive in this city...

2:54 PM  
Blogger cynthia said...

and what exactly IS the correct way to hail a cab?

2:56 PM  
Blogger hondo said...

i thought you could just shout, "Taxi" and hold your arm up in a 'hail hitler' fashion. seems like if they want your cash, they'll stop traffic. this guy woke up on the wrong side, thinkin there is some kind of etiquette (ms?) hahah

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home