Monday, November 29, 2004

No free rides.

I rarely ride the bus. I hate the bus. I hated it when I was in school, and I hate it just as much now that I'm a "grown up." Today, however, after my appointment with my surgeon(BTW, he's extremely happy with my progress and thinks that I can scale back my PT) opportunity knocked to take the bus to the train station instead of walking the 4 blocks that I really didn't want to walk. Knowing that I would be able to get the trifecta of CTA card usage(1 full fare, 1, 25-cent transfer and 1 free transfer), I jumped right on the bus.

Having taken a page from the wisdom of Wendy, I always say hello and thank you to my bus drivers. Let's face it, their job really sucks. Having to fight traffic all day(only 15 minutes of which is enough for me to worry about my blood pressure spiking), dealing with customers who are trying to cheat the system, etc, etc. This guy had a sign- "No Free Rides $1.75/$2.00." Wow. Next up- the elderly woman in front of me. She was trying to use her monthly pass which, unbeknownst to her, was expired. He wouldn't let her on. Not without paying her $1 reduced fare. It wasn't her fault. She can't read the incredibly small print on the CTA card which tells her when the card expired. Geez man, lighten up.

Anyways, more on my glorious weekend later. I've got some Spicy Baked Chicken Breasts to make, served with a side dish of rice pilaf. Yummy!

1 Comments:

Blogger Ms. K said...

I hate riding the bus, too!!! I take the Halsted bus between 2-4 times a week and it's really not that bad, but it's so crappy compared to the train!

And, I agree with you, I always say hi and smile to my bus drivers because little stuff like that can go along way... and I'm sure most of them do hate their jobs.

6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home