Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Open Letters

To the World:
I'm sorry. We tried. I know that we, the most powerful nation on the planet, look like a bumbling idiot running a marathon with his shoelaces tied together. Our democratic process isn't perfected yet, and yet we've been pushing it on you for 228 years. I apologize again. While we do have a good idea, we've lost sight of the spirit of that idea. Without knowing the results at this time, it's impossible for me to predict what's going to happen. Please be strong, and hope for the best.

To my fellow Americans:
What happened? Have you been living under a rock for the past four years? I honestly cannot comprehend how this was even a close race. I guess that when we're all employed by Halliburton or drafted into the armed forces, then, maybe you'll see things different. I know Kerry wasn't exactly an ideal choice, I'm still clarifying it to people that I am not pro-Kerry. I am anti-Bush. Sure, Kerry flip-flops, but to me that's a sign that he can realize when he's made a mistake. Bush lied to you, and me, when he said that Hussein had WMD. He called the war won when it wasn't. Instead of admitting his errors, he's just telling you over and over how much safer the world is without Hussein in power. Ask yourself this, though- do you actually feel safer now that Hussein is in jail? I know I don't.

Our democracy is flawed. People are being prevented from exercising their right to vote. This happened in 2000 and seems to have happened again in 2004. Don't feel bad about it- just change it. Let's not even talk about the arcane Electoral system- I've been reading a history about it, and let me tell you, it's one gigantic mess. On top of that, read through just the table of contents of the Patriot Act. If that doesn't scare the living hell out of you, I don't know what will.

It was time to make a change, folks. This shouldn't have been close.

To the United Nations:
I may be crazy, or biased, or just a little bit defensive right now, but in 1990 when a strikingly more powerful member nation invaded a less powerful nation, all kinds of of action was taken by you to turn that illegial invasion around and punish those responsible(to end the suspense, I am referring to Iraq invading Kuwait). Well, what changed so that 13 years later when it happened again, you didn't sanction that nation? Oh, right, one of the founding nations decided to act outside the UN Charter(see articles 39, 41 and 42, but article 51 takes the cake) and invade another member nation. Sorry, I missed that. Seems like maybe something should have been done then. Just a thought.

To the Greater Toronto Area:
I will be in your fine city for the first time in about 27 years. I am definitely looking forward to my visit, and I might even take some time to look for an apartment there. If you have any suggestions, or even an extra space in your apartment and you don't mind cats, please let me know. I would expect that there will be some more people like me moving to all cities in Canada. We hope we're not imposing, we just have to get out of here, and I think that you understand why. Thanks.

I'm sure these letters are going to get me into some kind of trouble- it's become a scary state of affairs in my country, where expressing yourself is becoming a right we don't have.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ms. K said...

your posts sums up exactly how i feel. i'm in somewhat of a state of shock now. i'm in total disbelief that we managed to re-elect mr. christian jihad. and, yeah, we're going to lose more rights in the next four years than we have in the last fifty. we're going to openly discriminate gays, ban abortion, and fight every non-christian country in the world (but first are the ones that have oil, of course).

i don't even want to think about the fact that MY generation is going to paying off dubya's debt and i may not be able to get a job when i finish grad school because dubya's not investing any $$$ in the U.S. and my future job is all about making the U.S. a better place to live. ugh.

i don't know. i don't get it. how did this happen???

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home