Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Something _______ this way comes.

Last night I did something I haven't done in months: I made tacos. I haven't made tacos since my doctor discovered that I have high cholesterol, and decided, because I had been so good lately, to take the plunge and indulge myself.

This is where things get depressing. As I was shopping(I've become a serious label-reader now), I discovered just how bad for me the ingredients are- and decided that I would substitute my own mixture of spices instead of the regular taco mix, use low-fat, low-cholesterol cheese, and stop frying my tortillas in light canola oil before I eat them(although I still had to heat them up in the microwave). What came out of all this? Other than the unhappy realization that I'm out of cayenne pepper, that my tacos tasted like shit. The cheese was horrible, the meat had flavoring, but not the usual kick to it(perhaps I put in too much curry or not enough tabasco?) and the tortillas, well, they were so disappointing I don't want to talk about it.

So, afterwards, I realized how much I hate this new diet I have to be on, and I spent several hours cursing my bad luck and karma which got me into the high cholesterol world. I'm tired of always eating what food eats. Of course, the alternative is to keep going down the path I was on, and well, facing the inevitable heart attack or stroke. Maybe not today or tomorrow or even in the next 10 years, but it's out there. I mean, consider Sergei Zholtok. He was 31. He was an athlete, too. I am an athlete, at least I try to be, but I'm no where near the level he was. I gotta tell you, it kinda scares me.

Wow. I just read through this rather depressing post. I'm off to go in search of levity. Sorry to leave my readers with such a sad post.

1 Comments:

Blogger cynthia said...

don't be depressed. a batch of real tacos once in a while won't kill you if you're being good most of the time. i quote my friend guy: "everything in moderation, including moderation."

8:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home