Thursday, November 11, 2004

Thinking.

Last night I was so tired after PT that I fell asleep on the couch. Again. I'm getting lazier and lazier it seems. This is bad, because I was supposed to meet my friend for his birthday, but when I talked to him he said plans were falling apart. I feel bad, because he's a good friend, and I really wanted to hang out. My roommate got home about 9:30 or so and I decided to go to bed for real, because I didn't stand a chance of maintaining consciousness. Away to dreamland I went.

Confusion came when my phone rang at 12:04, waking me and causing me some panic: someone needs something? there's a problem? which hospital should I go to? what time is it? Of course, when I open the phone, that's when the display decides to stop working, so I answer blindly. It's my friend L., calling to tell me she misses and loves me. I bask in the glow of being missed and loved, and say "ok." She tells me to go back to sleep, and off I go, back into dreamland again.

Mass confusion came at 2:55am. I shot awake, in a straight panic about sleeping in: "fuck, I had to wake up early and do laundry, now I have an hour to get to work and no clean clothes to wear!" Fortunately for me, when I rolled over a second time to check the clock, and then a double-check on my watch, I realized I still had at least an hour to sleep. Again, off to dreamland I went.

It would appear that said confusion has carried over to this morning, because I'm stuck with my head in the clouds, yet again. We'll see what happens later.

Anyways, today I read this post, and got to thinking about what advice I would give my dear friend Wendy, but I have nothing concrete. When I was with T, she decided she would take my name. When M and I discussed getting married, she was all about taking my name. Honestly, I would consider taking her name, if I were to get married. My brother made his wife's name one of his middle names. My friend J and his wife combined their names into one(although they each had fairly combinable names). Me, I've got this Dutch last name that 99.9999% of people can either spell, or pronounce, but never both, which is a complete shame, because it only has 6 damn letters in it. Would I miss it if I changed? Yes. My brother and I are the last of this branch of the family. I think I'd like it to carry on, but I'm not sure I want to keep my last name. Discuss amongst yourselves. Let me know what you think.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I was born a Stockland and I'll die a Stockland. There's not many of us, at least not derived from the Norwegian variant. Most are the English variant. No one else need be a Stockland, though.

8:58 AM  
Blogger All Things Jennifer said...

Jane Doe, I mean Jen Smith can't WAIT to take my future husbands name...

I know two women, who I never would have thought would have *lost their feminist identity* who took their husband's names too...

12:23 PM  
Blogger jalaire said...

My cousin and her husband played rock, paper, scissors at the alter to decide which last name to take. She was adamantly against hyphenation and wanted her family name carried on. She won, (best 2 out of 3) and he changed his last name a week later.

4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home