Friday, November 19, 2004

This is the man who begat me.

My father is one of the most intelligent people I have ever known, and he's also one of the funniest. I'm not saying this in a my-dad-would-beat-your-dad-on-Last-Comic-Standing-and-Jeopardy! kind of way, either. That's just my 30 odd years of experience talking.

Anyways, my dad, when he was in college, and his roommate wrote a newsletter for fun, his nom de plume was General Gno Gno. So, starting back when I was in college, he started signing his e-mails with said nom de plume. I got a kick out of it, and we decided to call me Dangerous Dave after some silly video game we found at some convention for geeky people like us who buy silly video games and computers at computer conventions.

After lo these many years, the nicknames have been shortened to DD and GGG, then to dd and G^3, or today, he signed his e-mail with this:

G^3.14159265358979323846264338327950288

That number, of course, is pi. You can bet on that being not only 100% accurate, but also 100% from memory. Although it seems he's lost a bit of his edge- back when he was in, say 6th grade, I heard he could rattle off the first 100+ digits or so.

Just in case any of you were wondering where exactly I came from. I sometimes wonder, myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home