Thursday, December 09, 2004

Banner Morning.

I was barely able to keep my eyes open last night, thanks to my lack of sleep coupled with an extra intensive PT session, which included, for the first time in a long time, jogging. I got home after that, eventually made dinner, and settled in for an evening alone on the couch- something I so desperately needed it hurt. Essentially, I was in bed by 10:30, and happy to be so.

That, however, didn't get me out the door in time this morning. Our company party is tonight, and I couldn't find my suit pants anywhere. Knowing I would be late, I elected to take a cab, an expensive habit that I need to break, but let's face it, I got here early, again.

My boss forwards his line to our collective line when he knows he's going to be out of the office for extended periods, and one of those calls came in this morning, and because I know it's a super easy call usually(no, he's not in, can I take a message type thing) I picked it up. Here's what happened:

Me: Tech Support, this is Dave.
Caller: Dave? Jack O'Callahan here.
My heart: tha-------thump.

Having worked at Tower for so long, I've been around celebrities, and I can keep my shit together(although when Joe Strummer was in, it was really, really hard). Fortunately for me, I was able to keep it together this morning. He was calling about a software platform that we don't officially support, but I've been trained on, so I went out of my way to make sure that one of my heroes was taken care of.

All in a day's work, no?

3 Comments:

Blogger jen said...

That's Wicked cool!

2:20 PM  
Blogger Ms. K said...

I wouldn't have had any idea who he is... and I probably would've been rude to him.

But congrats. :)

Which Tower did you work at?

9:54 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

Jack O'Callahan was a Defenseman on the 1980 US Olympic Hockey Team who beat the Soviet powerhouse team and eventually won the gold medal. I was just a kid back when it happened- but I'll certainly never forget it.

I worked at the Tower on Clark Street for 4 years- if you hung around in there, especially on a weekend, you probably saw me a couple times.

10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home