Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Officially Official Announcement: Officially Over.

Yep, sounds like you can stick a fork in it. The NHL announced today that there will not be a season this year, and the Stanley Cup will not be awarded for the first time since 1919.

So, the question then becomes: Will life-long hockey fan Logan's Dave who has already boycotted the NHL for 7 years thanks to the approval to move his beloved Minnesota North Stars to of all places Dallas, TX boycott in the light of the league's and players' negligence toward fans?

I'd like to know, too. I guess we'll have to see. After all, I still have my beloved Chicago Wolves. Am I going to shed a tear over the fact that there will be no Stanley Cup awarded, the most honored and sought-after trophy in the world? Maybe. This is, after all, the same man who, only recently, had his first glimpse of the original cup, and, as grown men are known to do from time to time, burst into tears upon seeing it.

I used to root for a specific baseball team, then they had their labor problems, and I stopped caring. I used to like to watch the NBA, but again, labor problems got in the way, there was a strike, and yet again, I became completely disillusioned as a fan. Will this now 31-year-old man who still remembers walking as a 3-year-old through the cold Ontario night to see the Waterloo Siskins play who has been completely enamored with hockey since give up on the highest level? I'd have to say probably. They're going to have to make this up, HUGE.

They could start by moving all the teams that are south of the Mason-Dixon line back to their previous cities, including those to the places that actually DESERVE a team. I'm speaking specifically those cities where my Canadian brothers and sisters live. But that's just my suggestion. Take it as you will.

Enough ranting. At least, enough for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home