Friday, April 15, 2005

Happy tax day.

I, for one, hate doing my taxes. I don't believe in them. I don't like them.

Mind you, I rarely, if ever, actually owe taxes, but it's just a huge pain in the ass. A few years back I ran into a couple lawyer friends at Hopleaf in Andersonville around about tax day. Back in the 1700's we probably would have been called revolutionaries. Now, I'm pretty sure the term would be drunken dilettantes, but that is beside the point. After discussing(read: having a nice, productive bitch session about) the US tax system for a while, wham, bam, hey presto, out of the cigarette smoke and the 10% alcohol beer and our collective intellect, comes the groundwork for a constitutional amendment eliminating the necessity for all this paperwork done in the first four months of the year.

The best part was that it was a fair tax. A flat tax. It was glorious.

Unfortunately, it is never likely to cast its shadow on any legistlative body's floor, as none of us have political aspirations, and even if we did, we're a rather motley bunch with skeletons hiding in our respective closets. Oh well. I guess that we, as a country, will have to suffer through the broken, malodorous system until some with actual power realizes that the system needs fixing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home