Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Postcards from the (Mill)edge(ville)

Red made her debut to the family this weekend, oddly enough, on her birthday.

The consensus is very good:

"I sure do like your [Red], Dave. She's very nice."
-Granny

"You better hold on to this one, she's really nice and I like her."
-my 10-year-old cousin

"Good for you, waiting for the right one."
-Grandma

Those are just a few of the wonderful things my family were saying about Red this weekend. She's a big hit. My mother insisted that Granny get pictures of the two of us for her. We were more than happy to oblige. Of course, our first picture taken as a couple happened during karaoke on Saturday night:

Well, ain't we a pair?
Posted by Hello

Sure, it's grainy, and you can barely tell it's us, but that's what you get with camera phones. Compliments to my friend T for taking and e-mailing the picture for me. If memory serves, this picture was taken after I had several friends and I sing Birthday by the Beatles for Red(I sang as Cartman), but also after I finally lived the dream of belting out Faith by George Michael. I like to think I did the song justice. Our KJ said "give it up for Dave and his ass." To which Red responded "Dave and his HOT ass."

Yep. She's a keeper.

After arriving at my dad's parents' house on Monday to go to lunch before Red and I headed back, my grandparents presented me with a rather strange gift. Knowing my fondness for swords, I was presented with a World War Two Japanese officer's sword, which my biological grandfather somehow procured during his Naval service in the Pacific theater. My great-uncle, who has moved into the family farm, found it recently and gave it to my grandmother, who has, in turn, given it to me. It's not in the greatest condition, but who can blame it, after spending almost 60 years in storage? I'm going to try to restore it(as best I can) and put it on display in my apartment. I'm not selling it. No way, no how. I can also honestly say that other than my last name, this is the only thing I have ever owned that belonged to my grandfather.

Anyways, Red really enjoyed her time out at the farm. She went for a walk through the fields while I mowed the lawn(I'll scan and post a picture of that as soon as I can), hustled my family and myself in Bocce Ball, and got to share in the ages-old family activity of throwing rocks in the creek.

Wait. I've never adequately explained this activity.

The Rock Creek(the word creek, by the way, is pronounced crick in my family) runs by my grandparents' house, about 3/8 of a mile down the road, and sits next to a quarry. As long as I can remember, we have gone down there, thrown a target into the creek on the north side of the bridge, and then waited, with handfuls of gravel, on the south side, to attempt to sink, or at least hit, said target. It's a fun game. Now that I'm older and stronger, I can throw larger rocks, which makes it more fun. Big splashes and all. It's silly, but fun. Just ask Red, who said "this is like a family tradition, and it's really, really fun!"

So, that's the recap. I've got a pub quiz to write, so I'd better get to work.

1 Comments:

Blogger All Things Jennifer said...

All you people in love...so cute :)

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home