Friday, August 19, 2005

You ever listen to K-Billy's "Super Sounds of the Seventies" weekend?


After yesterday's hellatious 2 1/2 hour outage, I was in desperate need of a bender. Fortunately for me, the stars have aligned such that my dear friend L is in town, and wanted to hit the town in grand fashion.

And hit the town we did.

I was going to take her to a nice new place she hadn't been, the Hopleaf, but it's the kind of place that you go to primarily to drink beer, as they have several hundred to choose from, most of them quite exotic. I, as you probably don't know, am on a beer ban, going on twelve days, in an effort to lower my glycerides even further which will, in turn, lower my overall cholesterol, but that's not the point of the story.

L, my roommate and I met up at the Globe, and once we got started, the need to go someplace else faded quickly. Especially after I mentioned that karaoke started at 10. We weren't going anywhere. So, we kept drinking, she her martinis, myself my vodka tonics. And kept drinking. And drinking. Finally, we moved into the back room. The KJ is a guy who comes to pub quiz, so he gave us a bump up in the line so L could crank out her famous rendition of Me and Bobby McGee (she does it so well it melts most men's hearts) and then he introduced me, in high fashion. "Folks, we've got a special treat tonight, Tuesdays at the Globe is trivia night, and coming up to the stage is Quizmaster Dave!"

Unexpectedly, the crowd clapped. I drunkenly moved directly into rock star mode, and bounded up to the stage. The first notes of my new signature song started up, and the crowd cheered again. I asked for volunteers to come up and sing harmony for me, as you really can't do that song justice without backup. I'm not even going to attempt to be humble about this. We fucking owned that song! The whole crowd was thrilled, and I was dancing around like a young Mick Jagger. As a part of my theatrics, during the musical break, I do a Michael Madsen impression, by putting my foot up on something, saying "hold still" and pretending to cut off someone's ear. It's always a crowd pleaser. At the end of the song, it was handshakes all around and thunderous applause from the crowd.

And let me tell you, it felt damn good.

1 Comments:

Blogger Eston said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home