Friday, October 14, 2005

Romancing the phone

I am so madly in love with my new cell phone. The display works. It has one of those little windows on the flippy part. It has the ultra-cool "call any other Cingular Wireless customer for free" plan. It has a Time Zone map, just in case I ever need to know what time it is in Botswana, I can sure as shit look it up on my phone. It can record audio, too, but I haven't figured out how to use those sounds as my ringtone (the Polkaholics playing the White Sox Polka would have been stellar).

That's the feature I really, really love. I can download ringtones. I liked my old phone's ring, because it was a horse neighing- a sound that's pretty easy to distinguish, even in a crowded bar, a hockey game, or when you're sleeping. Its just not something you hear everyday, so you notice it. My new phone has the wonderful ability to download ringtones. Ah. Sauce for the goose, as it were.

I spent quite some time thinking of a song that I would like to have as a ring, something that's my style, and something that I'd want to hear every time my phone rang. It took a while, and I was limited by what was available, but I settled on Folsom Prison Blues by Johnny Cash, on of my all-time favorites, as well as one of the songs I do moderately well when karaoking. I would have preferred Ring of Fire or Man In Black, but we play with the cards we're dealt, right?

Last week I was walking to the laundromat, carrying my hamper et al, and I passed a dance studio, and suddenly heard a deep voice say "I'm stuck in Folsom Prison, and time keeps draggin' on..." and wondered what dance class would be listening to Johnny Cash. Turns out, I was listening to my friend calling me to coordinate birthday plans. I guess I'm just a little too dependent on my old horse ringer, or I'm still training myself to pick up when Johnny calls.

1 Comments:

Blogger cynthia said...

see, change IS good. my ringtone is the ramonse 'i wanna be sedated'.

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home