Friday, November 04, 2005

Road trip, part 2: Going to T'Ranna

with an achin' in my heart...

Originally, I was going to Toronto this weekend with my best friend, marking our first real road-trip since we moved back in together. I was juiced. She, however, decided she couldn't go, so she had to cancel. Thanks to my friend A, however, I found a mega-cheap flight to Toronto. Mega. Cheap. $146, round-trip. All I had to do to make it work was switch my day off from today to Monday. This move made certain things, which were unavailable before, readily available.

Thing one, as mentioned here, is going to a hockey game with a woman who loves hockey. Always a plus. Thing two is going to debut my skills (or lack thereof) at Kick Ass Karaoke. To add to the excitement, which is already at dangerous levels, before the hockey game mentioned in Sass' blog, we will be skating on the very rink where the Toronto Maple Leafs play their home games. This is assuming that Sass and I manage to find a) a place that rents skates and b) a place that rents skates for people with big feet like me.

It should be noted, and the parties concerned have been warned, that I have not been on ice skates in about 20 years. And even when I regularly strapped on the blades, I was never that good a skater. I can go very, very fast in a straight line. Just, for the love of The Rocket, do not ask me to stop or turn.

I tried out rollerblading last summer, before I hurt my knee and before I had surgery. I did ok, not the most competent, but I was improving. I tend to skate much better while holding a hockey stick, a trick an old friend of mine suggested after he and his wife got rollerblades as a wedding gift, and he had troubles. It definitely pays to know people who grew up in Manitoba. Trust me.

So, after work today, I'm heading to the airport for my flight up, and I get to see my favorite couple. Life, my friends, is good.

3 Comments:

Blogger Postmodern Sass said...

Don't worry, I can skate backwards in front of you, and help you with those stops and turns. :)

10:31 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

Good to know!

10:34 AM  
Blogger Postmodern Sass said...

Just a little update for you: My friend at the ACC emailed me to say he's giving me 9th row seats. Platinum section. Behind the bench.

I know, it's not a "real" game. But still.

He's also trying to find some skates for you. Who knows, maybe Dougie Gilmour left his behind last year.

I hear he has big feet.

11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home