Monday, January 09, 2006

The Accident

Yesterday, despite the exhaustion, despite the mild hangover, I got on my bike and rode on my new toy. I've been riding quick rides on it for a few days, and I'm starting to really get hang of these things. It is a little difficult, as you have to ride without moving the handlebars, and without leaning to either side. This is good for me, as it will teach me to be a more efficient cyclist, but bad for me, as I tend to move around a bit. I've set the rollers up in the relatively narrow space between my bed and my bedroom wall- there's only a couple feet, if that, of space there, so I'll stabilize against the wall if I go too far left, or fall on my bed if I go too far right.

Before yesterday, there weren't any problems.

Before yesterday.

I was motoring along, about 6 miles or so into my ride, having a great time. I moved my crappy little 19" TV into my bedroom, so I could watch the football game while I rode. I had already done a couple sprints, even one where I topped out at 35 mph, and was feeling pretty good. After a particularly good sprint, I started to sweat pretty good. I didn't have my bandana on, so the sweat was getting into my eyes. I used my right sleeve to wipe what I could, and went to do the same thing with my left hand, when my elbow hit the wall, sending me leaning crazily.

I attempted to correct this, and wound up going off the right end of the rollers. I took my left foot out of the toeclip and tried to stop my fall, but didn't stop enough.

Let's just say that the previous few sentences cover a time frame of about .25 seconds. Let's just say that I hit the crossbar with a part of my body that doesn't like to get hit by anything. Let's say that the seat hit me in another spot that is now nicely bruised. Let's say that this instance was the end of riding for a couple days, until I feel a little less sore. Let's also say that I'm lucky I didn't fuck up my bike much at all. Let's also say that my back seized up and I spent a few hours laying on my back sucking down painkillers before I felt like moving. One last thing I'll say is I'm making damn sure I have a bandana on from now on.

3 Comments:

Blogger Postmodern Sass said...

That's funny... the exact same thing happened to me when I was there, only without the bike roller thingy contraption playing a role.

10:58 AM  
Blogger Postmodern Sass said...

OK, I exaggerate; it wasn't exactly the same. But I seem to remember slamming my elbow against the wall, being bruised and sore, and, well, spending a few hours lying on my back.

Tom-ay-to, tom-ah-to.

3:55 PM  
Blogger cynthia said...

um, can we keep the bedroom details to yourselves? geez.

4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home