Friday, January 13, 2006

Oddly prophetic

I went to The Globe for a Grey Goose Martini yesterday, in tribute to the inventor of it, Sidney Frank, who died on Wednesday. As I just ready, I should have also had a shot of Jagermeister, as he is the person responsible for that liquor being mass distributed in the US.

As I was sitting there, the Scottish owner and I started talking. I offered him a nip off the bottle of sketch that Sass brought me. It was decided, after a few more beers, that we should definitely head to my place, watch the Young Ones, and drink scotch. This seemed like a great idea, until, of course, I realized I hadn't eaten.

A martini has the effect of rendering a person rather drunk, especially when consumed without food in the stomach. Drunkenness has the effect of rendering a person to make some strange decisions, especially when that person is me. Me, who was walking around Chicago wearing a hockey sweater, shorts, and sandals. In January.

We ordered pizza, watched 3 episodes of the Young Ones, including my favorite, Oil. We at jelly beans. We basically ruined our palates for the fine scotch we were drinking with crap food. Not that I have a lot of scotch-appropriate food in my house. I was just hungry, and well, the bottle was close. But there we were, a Scotsman and an American with Scottish blood watching a British TV show and drinking a bottle of 12-year-old Scotch Whiskey given to me by a German-Canadian woman. Not to mention that my Polish roommate was watching TV in her room and sampling the same fine scotch. It was a rather global evening. It was nice to have a scotch-loving redhead in my apartment again, too. I just wish it were a different one.

1 Comments:

Blogger cynthia said...

i don't really see how anything here is prophetic, but one thing is clear: you are smitten.

1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home