Sunday, January 29, 2006

This is how my life works.

I spent yesterday actively studying horizontology. I had a rough week and I'm stuck with this fucking cold, so I wanted some couch time. I took that couch time seriously.

I wound up finishing a DVD and was too lazy to get up and put in a new one, so I started flipping around the channels when I came across Rick Steve's Europe (I've spent several years trying to determine whether or not his guy is gay or straight, and frankly a site called "Rick Steve's Europe Through the Back Door" really sends my opinion to one end of the spectrum.) Good ol' Rick was taking is through the Swiss Alps on this particular episode, and was shown eating some very nice lookin wursts with a crowd of folks.

"I'm hungry" I thought to myself.

After that show ended, I started my channel surfing again. It's hard to want to get off the couch when you've got your cat all cuddled up with you and the blanket is finally just the right temperature. I stopped for a minute on Barbeque University. He was doing a show on Super Bowl food, grilling up his "Super Bratwurst Sandwich." I got awfully exited when he broiled with Schlitz beer.

That's when it hit me- time for Resi's. I got up off the couch and walked into my roommate's room. I explained the situation- the shows, the grilling, the hunger pains, all of it. Plans and phone calls were made, and a trek to the Bierstube ensued.

I've been to Resi's probably a hundred thousand times, but something that has never happened to me before happened. As we approached, a couple was standing outside, plotting their next move. I nodded a hello and entered the bar. I opened the door and was greeted by a man in a very strange hat. Behind him was another guy wearing the same hat. Behind him was an old man with an accordion, then two women, and yet another accordion. Pretty much all of them were wearing red as well. I figured it was some strange kind of pub crawl, and I was right. What I didn't know until after they left and my buddy the bartender had a moment to breathe was that they were celebrating German Mardi Gras.

We sat down at the bar, I ordered an Aventinus and asked for a menu. I turned to my roommate and said "too bad Sass wasn't in town for that."

2 Comments:

Blogger Postmodern Sass said...

German Mardi Gras! Who knew?

But then, I'm not Catholic.

I do, however, approve of any traditional celebration involving beer. And accordions, so much the better.

3:36 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

And eating, A LOT. That's why it's called Fat Tuesday, after all!

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home