Wednesday, March 22, 2006

If I had a million roses, part II

Back in the day, well, about a month ago, I told you all about my misadventures playing a certain PS2 game, We Love Katamari. I had finally reached to the ultimate level of the game- the part where you roll up a million roses.

I'm happy to report that with rather limited time or motivation, I have managed to get my total to 589,820 roses.

I will fully admit to cheating to get to that number. At first, sure, I was all motivated- rolling up a thousand a day would only take me maybe 10 or 20 minutes, so why not just do that? Frankly, friends and neighbors, it is a horrifyingly boring task to try to accomplish. Not to mention that I am not the most patient man, and waiting 100 days, providing that I could spend that amount of time on such a silly thing every day, was just not practical.

So, I cheated. I used the rubber band [elastic] method. What I do, is I get to the Ice Rink level- it randomly assigns levels when you're rolling for the roses, so just be patient. You will get it. Next, I use two smaller rubber bands to hold the analog sticks forward. I use a third, longer rubber band to hold the left stick at a slight angle, so that the path of the katamari is always changing, but only slightly.

I have used this method more than once, and I have to tell you, it is one easy damn way to roll up roses. On Friday night, I got home from work, and, as I told you yesterday, I was avoiding going out. Eventually, I just had to, but the point is, I started up the game and rubber banded my controller and walked away.

I basically left the damn thing running all weekend long. I started out on Friday with something like 330,000 roses, and turned it off Sunday night with 589,820. Not bad for a weekend's worth of not working on it, right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home