Thursday, March 23, 2006

Over stressed or over stretched?

Life has been interesting lately.

Between work and pub quiz and the bike ride, I'm pretty full up. I knew I was in trouble on Monday when I was sitting at my desk, trying to muddle through callers when I felt a wave of tension flow down from the back of my neck and then reaching my fingertips and toes. By the time I got home, I was almost unable to move, and was walking a little funny. After some time spent stretching and trying to relax as much as possible, then, of course, the addition of a glass or two of wine, I was loosening up.

I was more worried on Tuesday when the same thing happened- but not quite as bad. Of course, on Tuesdays I don't really have time to slow down. The show must go on. Sometime in the afternoon, I started doing shots of Pepto Bismol to try to settle my unhappy stomach, but largely to no avail. Let me also note that the new Cherry flavored Pepto tastes like absolute ass. It would have helped if I would have paid attention at the drugstore.

While I do tend to carry my tension and stress in my shoulders and back (ask anyone who has ever given me a backrub), due to the subsequent gastro-intestional issues, I'm rather sure that I may have had a mild case of the flu, for the first time in years. I almost doubt that, though, as I had not other symptoms. I blame the crappy food I ate on Sunday, followed by more bad eating habits on Monday and Tuesday.

In attempting to get back to normal, or normal for me, I'm on salads and spending at least a couple hours a day just trying to relax. So I made up for not relaxing yesterday with spending the whole night last night relaxing. Now that I'm a day behind on all my little projects, though, I'm a little upset with myself.

6 Comments:

Blogger cynthia said...

yoga, baby! it's the cure for all that ails you. i'm not kidding, that stuff is magic.

10:34 AM  
Blogger ShOI said...

I'll second that. Shari and I took a kundalini yoga class last Sunday and I'm still feeling like the calm little center of the universe. Give it a try.

2:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Uh, I know a woman who just went to Thailand to learn to teach yoga! Personally, I do the "Walk-to-frige:get-beer" stretch.

Anyway, I can attest that a good, I'm awake stretch when I wake up is great. Don't know much about yoga other than people look stupid while doing it. Then again, it's not about looks.

3:53 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

I did pilates during my PT after the last knee surgery, and it definitely improved my flexibility (I touched my toes for the first time when I was 31) but I don't know if yoga is for me.

I think a friend of mine has an old DVD somewhere she might loan me. I just don't see me in tights

10:26 AM  
Blogger cynthia said...

um, i've never seen anyone do yoga in tights.

11:45 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Cynthia, shhhhhh..... Maybe we can get some compromising pictures of Dave.

1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home