Friday, May 05, 2006

Whip-Smart Track 8

Cinco de mayo, blowout, denial
It wasn't fun this time, letting you go
What if I never, a bullet forever,
Held out my hand to you?
We wouldn't have known beautiful flow

Absolute measure, I ain't no pleasure hound
Bus out of control, ploughing the road
Out on a bender
Just Alice falling down a deepening hole

I'd never been to Rome until you smiled
You're about as old and piled

Used to pray for snow
Now I just wonder
What spell I was under
Thinking you thought of me as something to hold

I'd never been to Rome until you smiled
You're about as old and piled

Cinco de mayo, burn-out Ohio
It wasn't me this time letting you go

I wrote a round of pub quiz, all Mexican trivia, with a similar title this week. I'll get around to posting it when I get around to remembering to have my jump drive with me when I have some spare time to post it.

Frankly, I don't get why so many of us Americans embrace this holiday. In my experience, most Americans (probably including the ones that can't find Ohio on a map) think today is Mexico's Independence Day, well, you're not only wrong, but you have a lack of sense of history. Then again, I think most folks just need an excuse to drink.

Me, I don't need no stinking excuses.

Today is the day, friends and neighbors, that General Ignacio Zaragoza defeated a superior French invasion force including dragoons, with a rag-tag (quite literally rag-tag, too they were mostly Indians armed with little more than machetes) militia, about 4000 troops, and a well-timed cattle stampede through the battlefield that was incited by some local farmers.

So, if you're one of those people out hoisting Coronas and thinking you're celebrating something kids get the day off of school for, please remember that you're not. You're just hoisting Coronas. While it was a very important day in the history of the world, it just isn't much of a holiday.

Just spreading a little perspective.

1 Comments:

Blogger Maria said...

COME ON, COME ON, post it now!

12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home