Tuesday, July 04, 2006

My name is Dave

Hey.

I'm not a republican or a cowboy...
I don't live in a mansion or eat steak every day or own a gun...
and I don't know Jimmy, Sally, or Suzy from America, althgouh I'm certain they're around here somewhere.

I have a president, who I didn't vote for, not a king...
I speak English and American and Spanish and French...
and I pronounce creek 'crick' because that's how my grandmother says it.

I can proudly disagree with my country's leadership...
Especially when they're policing instead of peacekeeping.
I mark 'other' not white when I fill out surveys...
I can trace my lineage back to Europe and Native roots, and my family fought on both sides of the Revolutionary War.
I can find Florida on a map and I am more than proficient in math and science.

America is the third largest landmass, the first nation of constitutions, and the home of the free and the brave starting in 2009!

My name is Dave, and I am American!

2 Comments:

Blogger cynthia said...

why do you not mark 'white' on surveys? please dont' tell me you're one of those "the white man's blamed for everything..." guys...

9:56 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

I don't even mark other. My roots are in Southern Europe, what should I mark?

9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home