Wednesday, August 16, 2006

No wonder!

I've been trying to figure out why I've been literally forcing myself to get what I consider to be a decent night's sleep, the 6 hours I so dearly enjoy. Lately, I've been waking up at odd hours, having some seriously funky dreams and having problems getting to sleep. For instance, last night, I was at pub quiz, had a few Summits, got home feeling still completely sober, poured myself a drink, watched a movie, and still wasn't tired. I went to bed anyways, as it was 2:45 in the morning.

This morning, I woke up at 7, and forced myself to fall back asleep. It worked for a while, but I was basically waking up every 20 minutes or so until I finally gave it up about 15 minutes ago.

That's when I got smart, and googled side effects for Claritin, and that led me to this page, listing all the nasty side effects people have had. I was relieved to read this entry:
When taken as needed (a day or two here or there), no side effects. When I took it as suggested (daily, 10mg tab), after about a week I started to experience side effects: Awoke in the middle of the night after some bad dreams, dizzy, disoriented, strange feeling in my head, and mild nauseu. Had to get up and sit on the john, turn all the lights on, and walk around for an hour to 'sober' myself up. I was genuinely afraid to go back to bed (in the dark). I figured it was some virus I was coming down with. Shortly thereafter I began to have stomach pains off and on, after eating (figured it was stress?). Then edginess and generally disinterested in any thing. I was nervous, slightly depressed, and distant from everyone in the house. I also suffered from chills (leading me to think I still had some virus. My girlfriend and house mate sent me an e-mail, asking if I wanted to move out, and why was I so negative and joyless(?) It was a wakeup call. It was as if everything was normal...

I say that I'm relieved, mostly because I now know that this is probably what is happening to me. So, if anyone else out there has any allergy med advice, preferably an alternative, I'm all ears right now.

1 Comments:

Blogger cynthia said...

claritin does sometimes give me incredibly vivid dreams, but honestly i think this guy's problem goes beyond claritin. i've never heard of symptoms that strong. but it definitely can affect your sleep so it's most likely the culprit in your case. have you tried the steroid nasal inhalers? they're fantastic.

10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home