Monday, June 21, 2004

A Brief History of My Head Injuries

I figured, since I can't stop thinking about it, why not write them all out:

June 2004: The collision. See this post.

1997: The Accident.
I was in the back of a cab on a slightly rainy night. Cab hits car turning left. Dave hits plexiglass divider with his forehead. Hospital trip at 3 am follows, uncluding CAT scans. Results: Concussion.

1991: The Dance.
I was at a weekend retreat where they threw us a dance. It was quite lively. We were all dancing to "Blister in the Sun" by the Violent Femmes. During the quiet part, everyone started crouching down. I decided to dash through real quick and get a drink when the song gets real loud again, and someone shot up and cracked me on the side of the head. Everything goes flying and I wind up on the floor. Results: Concussion.

1983: The Trip.
I'm playing with friends outside when I take off running after one of them. Somehow I wind up horizontal, and hit my right knee on the cement stairs to their deck, and my head on their wooden stairs. After being helped back to my house, I realized blood was running down my head. Hospital trip and an uncomfortable interview for my parents ensues. Results: Three stitches and a concussion.

Not bad for a guy just starting his 30's. I haven't gotten into the really heavy hurting of myself yet. I'm sure that will come closer to 35 or so.

Fun!

5 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Ok, now I'm gonna share. Sometime between 85-87. Laying on the floor watching TV. My step-father is vacumning around me, as he doesn't want to ask me to move. A commercial comes on. I decide to sit up at the exact moment he decides to lift the vacumn over me. Result: The vacumn sucked up my hair and portions of my skin on my head. Needed 3-4 stiches. I really believe that a portion of my brain got sucked up too.

3:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Back on Christmas 1978, I got one of those red trucks that have the directional arrows on them; the ones where you press the button to make the truck to that way. For some reason I put it on my head, pressed a button, and proceded to scream loudly. My father was worried the hair wouldn't grow back in. It took a few months. Like the poster above, I think it pulled some part of my brain out, too.

Pat

3:43 PM  
Blogger cynthia said...

i've never been concussed. i think it's a boy thing. but reagan'syouth that is the best head-injury story i've ever heard.

4:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

um, not to trivialize what was obviously a very painful experience, but what kind of vacuum was that, I think I need it. Yes, I need that vacuum cleaner.

12:43 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

First thing's first, I am a felmale. The vacum was just a standard upright...not sure of the brand.
Second...another head injury...in the 3rd grade, my friends were holding me by the feet and arms and swinging me side to side. They were walking onto the side walk as they were doing this. They dropped me and my head smashed onto the curb. Nothing broke...just a small concussion. Darn Dave, I'm catching up to you!

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home