Thursday, September 02, 2004

Good times, bad times, you know I've had my share.

So, yesterday was the stop-off at my GP's for my pre-surgery tests, which yielded something I was completely unprepared for. Apparently, I'm suffering from high blood pressure. Me. This has never been a problem for me. I mean never. I am genetically pre-disposed, thanks to my mother's side to very low blood pressure, and haven't had readings ever over 120/80. Usually, it's closer to 100/60.

Needless to say, I was a little freaked out, and spent a lot of time trying to figure out where such readings might have come from. I mean, I take care of myself, not great care, but pretty damn good care. I spent what, 5 months in training for the MS Ride, watching what I ate, drank, etc. so where did I go wrong?

My doctor says that I don't really have anything to worry about. We're running some extra blood tests to see if there is something extra wrong, but for the most part, he believes that it is elevated due to stress levels and poor eating habits. We'll see. He also tells me that he'll be able to get my BP down in time for surgery, which is a week away, and then after I recover, he wants talk again about keeping your humble narrator healthier. We'll see what happens.

So, on my way home, my upstairs neighbor was standing talking with another one of our neighbors, so I stopped to chat with them, and guess what? There already is a petition to have speed bumps installed on the streets surrounding our homes(here's the inspiration). So I proudly signed my name, and was thrilled to be a part of local politics. I also got to play with children, which made that paternal instinct of mine pop up again.

After that, I went to dinner with my friend T at Ginger's(don't worry, I had the heart-healthy steak with steamed vegetables and salad, and drank 3 glasses of water with lime and a voddy tonic, also with lime) then went home to mope about and do some research on the BP monitor I have to purchase.

So, that's where it's all at right now. I'm feeling a little better than I was last night, as far as my health is concerned. I'm sure I'll be better soon, that it was just a fluke.

More later.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

I thought about that- but the highest ever it was before was when I went in for my blood tests when I was first diagnosted with arthritis. They also tested me for AIDS back then, and I was horrified, but still only managed a 118/80.

This was a whole lot higher. Although I will admit that I'm really stressed about this surgery- not the actual doing it part, but I've never had to ask friends to take a day off of work to sit with me, before it was just a weekend at my dad's, with more than enough people to take care of me. Plus, I haven't been sleeping right, and I've been stressed at work.

You're right, though. I would expect that even now, my BP is back to a more normal range.

11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home