Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Happy Anniversary.

For those of you who have well-honed skills of observation, you might have noticed that I like hockey. I know. Shocking truths are frequently revealed here at Logan's Dave.

So, today is the 25th anniversary of the Miracle On Ice, a game that was burned into my synapses so long ago, and helped shape my growth as a human being. I remember watching the tape-delayed game broadcast. I remember nearly wetting myself throughout the game- because I didn't want to stop watching.

So, Sunday night, as I'm participating in a pub quiz at Ginger's, my friend S and I walk to the smoking area to work on the match round, when I look up at the TV. Hockey footage. Suddenly, tunnel vision and selective hearing block out everything else. I can hear people asking me questions, but they're far, far away, pushed to my subconscious mind, it seems. Finally someone manages to get my attention. I respond, without taking my eyes off the screen, "I'm going to be worthless for the rest of the night."

After that, I made the mistake of having them put the game on one of the TV's in the quiz room, and I watched, as did about half of my team. And we got teary-eyed at the end, as I always do. It was precious.

So, happy anniversary and rest in peace Herb Brooks. I'll be having one for you later tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home