Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Good times, bad times

You know I've had my share.

This weekend was a fast, crazy, fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants cavalcade of fun. Then again, any time that you become an instant multi-thousandaire from a bonus, well, times are bound be be happier for you, right?

Friday night I went to my friend O'Boomhauer's surprise birthday party armed with a bottle of Jameson and a shitload of cash in my pocket. We rocked that party hard, and I headed home knowing that I would definitely have a hangover in the morning, not because of the volume I consumed, but because I consumed such a variety of forms of alcohol. I ate some food when I got home to stave this off, but to no avail. Before I did retire, I sent my brother an early morning "welcome to the club" e-mail, as he has finally turned 30. That's us in the picture, on my first day of school back in the 70's. Happy birthday, little brother.

Saturday morning, I checked my balance, and headed out on a $1000 spending spree. My largest purchase was a new computer- I finally retired my previous HP machine, which was running on duct tape and good intentions. My new toy has all kinds of hard drive space, and so much memory I'm having a hard time keeping up with the damn thing.

My plans for that night involved a birthday party for my dear friend A, and the last thing I bought on my spending spree was a bottle of Effen Vodka for her. Unless, of course, you count the rounds of drinks I bought for my friends. They were very happy for me to have this financial windfall, and needless to say, I don't forget my friends. After much debating over whether or not to go dancing that night (I was unwilling to go to SmartBar, as it just isn't a Dave kind of place. Besides, when I want to go dancing, I'll do a nice waltz or a two-step or something.

Sunday I went to see Good Night and Good Luck with Jen, a fun and entertaining movie that includes one of my favorite exchanges I've ever seen in a movie:
Edward R. Murrow: We'll split the advertising, Fred and I. He just won't have any presents for his kids at Christmas.
Sig Mickelson: He's a Jew.
Edward R. Murrow: Well don't tell him that. He loves Christmas.
I loved this movie- it was funny, witty, and had a lot of interesting cinematography- I highly recommend it.

If it weren't for some gastrointestinal issues I was having, we were going to go for drinks and dinner. I opted out and spent some time with my buddy, Mr. Pepto Bismol.

Yesterday was not one of my more stellar days at work followed by a trip to my local Target for a new microfaluwka- which is Polish for microwave, FYI. Some $120 later, I had all kinds of new stuff for myself and a huge bag of IAMS for Mia. I started laundry. My brother called when I was hanging up shirts and told me about Kirby Puckett.

I don't want to say much about this, as he was one of the few people on this list, the list of people in my lifetime that I have idolized and emulated to the point of calling them heroes. I promise, however, to say goodbye in my own way.

Rest in peace.

2 Comments:

Blogger Postmodern Sass said...

Gastro-intestinal issues? Dave, sweetheart, didn't you learn from my tragic experience not to eat at the Hard Rock Cafe?

3:48 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Sadly I was miles away from the HRC. I was, however, moderately disturbed by the strange and sugary shots I was drinking at a certian person's birthday party the night before.

Either that, or buttered popcorn has to be cut out of my diet.

5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home