Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Life's rich pageant.

This morning, my friends and neighbors, I am EXHAUSTED. I had quite the interesting night last night, featuring quite a bit of strangeness at pub quiz. First off, I bought a new electric pencil sharpener last week while I was out correcting the Illinois Department of Employment Services error on my address- they managed to turn the zeroes I wrote out into ones. Fortunately, my mailman is smart enough to recognize my name and where I live.

Someone please remind me to take him out for a couple beers this weekend. Anyways, back to the story:

I'm sitting there, sharpening pencils before last night's quiz, and noticing just how crappy my $10 pencil sharpener sharpens pencils, bitching endlessly about it, actually, when there's a flash, and half the room goes dark. I had actually blown a fuse using the goddamn thing. It was, in a way, funny, but at the same time, a little crazy. It reminded me of the first night of pub quiz, when the entire grid went down, and even my house lost power. After some confusion, the owner and I got the power back on, leading to the joke "how many Scotsmen does it take to reset a fuse?"

Apparently, the answer is two.

So, people started filing in, and I made due with the number of actually sharp pencils I had. Then more people came. And more, and more, and more. Jen and I made the decision to run quiz from behind the bar so a team could have a table. Then still more people came in. We started pulling tables in from the front room, and I felt a familiar pain. Jen was concerned and asked me where it hurt. After relating the pain to her, she said, "that's not good- that's a rotator cuff problem." Crap. Just what I need, yet another joint going bad. Of course, if we look back to three years ago, I had the same problem.

Sounds like I'm overdue to see my sports medicine doctor, no?

All told, we wound up with 72 people at pub quiz last night. At one point, I was talking to the owner and requested that if a fire inspector showed up, to make sure they didn't come to the back room. It was hectic, crazy, and somehow or another, we managed to still finish just a couple minutes after ten. Afterwards, we had some well-deserved drinks. Many of them. The staff and I did quite a few shots before I called it a night, and lugged all my crap home and iced my shoulder.

So today, I'm tired. I'm in pain. I'm wondering if those folks will be there again. I'm almost afraid they will be, but I'm retiring myself from moving tables again. Standing behind the bar, pulling my own pints all night, that, on the other hand, I'm more than happy to do again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home