Monday, July 23, 2007

18 years ago

18 years ago today, I was a frustrated, heartbroken young man. I had just broken up with my girlfriend, and I was really depressed. She was the first girl I ever used the L word with, and boy did we have plans.

This, of course, was before I adopted the Beatles' philosophy:
It's a love that lasts forever/It's a love that has no past

But this isn't even close to the point of the story.

Back then, I had decided I needed a job. I needed a steady income source, and I needed to fill up my suddenly very much free time. I had spoken with people at an office where my dad had some significant influence, and was told that the manager who was in charge of hiring was on his honeymoon, so I wouldn't hear anything for at least a couple weeks. 'Great, more spare time' I thought to myself. I went back to being a depressed and lonely young man.

One Sunday morning, say the 23rd of July, 1989, I was sleeping, as I used to do, when the phone rang. My mother came and woke me up, which was largely an unpopular move with me. "Your father wants to speak with you." I awoke barely enough to say hi.

"Get dressed and have your mother drop you off here."

"Where are you?"

"I'm at [soulless company that stole my youth] and they're short today. They need you to come in and help out."

"Ok."

"And dress nice."

"Ok."

"And hurry."

"Ok."

I hurried into the shower. I hurried into some clothes. My mom hurried me to the office, and so began my 10-year career at [soulless company that stole my youth]. By the time I was finished, I had held 4 titles based in 3 different cities, including a stint in the corporate offices. I traveled extensively throughout the Midwest and logged quite a few miles between Chicago and New York City. At the peak of my career, I was making more money than I ever had before or since.

Well, save for last year, and get this- I only worked for 7 months last year. Didn't I tell you it was a big severance package? Imagine if I had accepted this offer.

How am I marking this illustrious and somehow painful anniversary?

I'm not.

I know- such a rebel.

1 Comments:

Blogger Maria said...

Nice Simpsons-Dave character!

7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home